Sunday, July 6, 2014

Yummy Meat Loaf

I love a good meat loaf!  I feel like its a little healthy because it has oats in it, I use whole wheat bread for the bread crumbs, and you get your protein. Healthy right? 

I've been making this one for years, but with just Ketchup. I had a friend once make one with BBQ sauce and oh boy was it good!  I remembered it for a few years before trying this version when I came upon a homemade BBQ sauce that is delicious!  Together they make a perfect pair!  My 7 year old request this one quite often.  He loves it!

I made it tonight for a dear family, who I love.  They moved here about a year ago from Columbia and are on their way home in the morning.  I am going to miss them so much and their wonderful example!  Not to mention their boys who are some of my boys best-est friends!  Oh, I could go on and on about this wonderful family!
 

I thought it was funny though when their daughter mentioned how she thought it was Chocolate Cake at first sight.  They all said they liked it though! In fact they requested the recipe too! 

So here ya go!

Meat Loaf
  • 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef (I buy my meat at Costco and freeze it in 1 lb. increments, so I just use 1 pound meat. Makes the mixture thinner but it still works and tastes great!)
  • 1/2 cup bread crumbs
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1 1/4 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats, uncooked
  • 1/2 cup chopped onions
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 egg, beaten
Mix everything together.  


Pack into greased 9" x 5" x 3" loaf pan.  Spread 4 or 5 tablespoons of some Homemade BBQ Sauce (recipe here).  Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour. Serve with the BBQ sauce (please note, I only make half the recipe of BBQ and it is more than enough for the Meat Loaf).  Enjoy!

Yield: 8 servings


It's perfect paired with Mashed Potatoes!  I love the BBQ Sauce on those as well!  I'm a saucy kind of girl :)
 

No comments: