Wednesday, July 2, 2014

No Knead

First thing first.  I'm going to try and grab some of the recipes from the archive from my private blog from way back when.  This one is from 2009 and I'm still making it and loving it! Give it a try!  You'll be glad you did!

So I have been into cooking as of lately. Mainly baking. I have made this bread twice in the last four days. It is super good. It has the crispy crust with the soft middle. Yummy. It's super easy, the ingredients are simple but the rising time is long, so the catch is to planning ahead. I found with my second loaf, the longer it rises the better {Even for the second rise. Yeah, the power went out right as it was time to cook it, so it rose four hours instead of two. It just made it softer}. Hope you enjoy!
Photobucket
No-Knead Bread

*3 c. flour
*1/4 t. yeast
*1 1/4 t. salt
*1 1/2 c. water

* mix together ingredients in a large bowl, then cover and leave to rise 8-16 hours (you will see bubbles under surface--it will more than double in size - I find the longer the better).
* dump dough out onto well-floured surface, let it flatten out for a second, then fold four times (left, right, then top bottom). let sit for 10-15 min., then turn upside-down (seam down) onto a dishtowel that's been sprinkled with cornmeal. wrap loosely with towel, and leave to rise another 2 hours (until doubled).
* turn on oven to 500 and put ceramic, lidded baking dish in to pre-heat. once oven and dish are up to temp, sprinkle cornmeal lightly into dish (to help keep dough from baking onto dish). dump bread dough into dish so seam is on top (this is for looks). replace lid and bake for 25 min..
remove lid and bake for another 5 min..

here's a link to another version/explanation:
link
a video:
link

Side note: We use a crockpot (with glass lid) in the oven. the bread will grow to the size of the dish you use, so don't use anything too big or you'll have a pancake. 


Current note: My crockpot I used to use broke in one of our many moves.  So now I just use a rounded (with a flat bottom) Pyrex Dish and a rounded glass bowl for the lid.  Whatever works right?

No comments: